Saturday, October 6, 2012

Hope Springs Eternal


I am a Texas Rangers fan.

When I first began paying attention to baseball when I was 8 or 9 living in Maryland, I was not attracted to the successful Baltimore Orioles, but to the hapless, hopeless Washington Senators.  I don't know why.  Maybe I like the idea of being the perpetual underdogs, fighting against larger market teams and the bottomless pockets of some AL East teams, especially the "Damn Yankees".  I watched on TV as they lost their final game to the hated Yankees by forfeit in the 9th inning while actually winning.

I followed the team to Texas in 1972 and for the last 40 years I have loved this team.

When I was in college in the 1980's, I was a regular "bleacher bum" in the old Arlington Stadium, enduring the sweltering heat of August in those old aluminium benches, cheering on my team to repeated last place finishes.

In the late 1990's I thought we had arrived, but again, the Yankees shattered our dreams.

I watched great players, Mike Hargrove, Fergie Jenkins, Jim Sundberg, and of course, Nolan Ryan.

I saw management trade pitchers for hitters then hitters for pitchers, year after year, never finding the right balance.  The seemingly endless parade of Managers and the ridiculous A-Rod fiasco.  Still I watched, went to as many games as I could, bought the merchandise, and prayed for "next year".

The last three years have been ones of emotional highs and lows.  Thrilling victories and heartbreaking defeats.  Losing the AL West in the last game of the season was especially hard.  I am not a "boo-bird", but if anyone has a right to be disappointed, I do.

That being said, baseball is a game of hope, and each spring is a fresh start.  Only 5 months until pitchers and catchers report and Spring Training will be a time of joy again.

Here's to next year!

P.S.  I'm not sure whether I will be supporting the A's or the O's in the playoffs yet.  Both teams played with lots of heart this year and deserve to do well.

P.P.S  If Josh Hamilton wants to leave the team that gave him a chance when no other team would, then I wish him better luck than Albert Pujols has had with the Angels.

P.P.P.S.  No matter what, I still HATE THE YANKEES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment