Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Cinco de..... What?

I am a Texan.  I wanted to get that out of the way before I started just in case someone had any questions.  There is no argument that we Texans are a breed of our own, and do things pretty much the way we want to, no matter what anybody else thinks.

Which leads me to wonder... Why do we celebrate a MEXICAN holiday in Texas?

Commonly known as "Cinco de Mayo", it is a celebration of the Battle of Puebla, fought in 1861, in which Mexican forces under the command of Ignacio Zaragoza defeated French forces under Charles de Lorencez.

It should be noted that the French initially landed with an international force that included British and Spanish troops.  The force was sent because the Mexican government, being in one of it's perpetual fiscal crises, and having had ANOTHER change in government, had defaulted on loans made by the major European powers.  After cutting a deal, the British and Spanish withdrew, but negotiations with the French dragged on.

On May 5th, the French foolishly tried to attack the city of Puebla.  The French were defeated and eventually had to leave Mexico blah, blah, blah.

It is a day that Mexicans can be proud of.

But it still begs my question.  Why do we celebrate a MEXICAN holiday in Texas?

My more "urbane" friends and family would tell me, I'm sure, that Mexican heritage is an integral part of Texas heritage and culture.  That accepting and respecting the culture of Mexican descended Texans is vital to a healthy modern Texas.  To those well meaning folks I say: Steer Manure!

I come from a mixed heritage.  Though mostly English and Scottish stock, I am a fine example of what used to be known as the American "melting pot".  I do not celebrate Guy Fawkes Day, Trafalgar  Day, Empire Day or commemorate the execution of William Wallace and the restoration of the Scottish throne with Robert the Bruce.  Neither do I demand or promote their celebration in Texas, though English and Scottish descended persons played major roles in the development of Texas.  Names like Austin, Burnet, Cameron, Milam and McMullen come to mind.

One should remember that the province of Coahuila y Tejas was an undeveloped backwater of Commanche and Kiowa nomads under less than effective control of the government in Mexico City.  It was not until the Empresarios began to bring settlers to Tejas, that the wilderness began to succomb to "civilization".

Further, Texas won it's independence from Mexico in 1836, 25 years BEFORE the Battle of Puebla.  Texas had no ties to Mexico at the time.  In fact, even the dullest of student would know that by May 1861, Texas had seceded from the United States and joined the Confederate States of America, not rejoined Mexico.

So,. to the Mexican citizens, at home and abroad, I wish a happy commemoration of the Battle of Puebla.  As I said, it is a point of national pride.

To the citizens of Texas I say, if you want to celebrate something, celebrate March 2nd or April 21st.  These dates have more relevance to Texas than May 5th.  If you claim to be a Texan and don't know what those dates are, pick an Interstate highway.  I'll show you the way out.

2 comments:

  1. I actually feel the need to celebrate this holiday, because the French/Spanish/British planned to take over Mexico with the hopes of taking over American during it's civil war. Thanks to the Battle of Puebla, that was one little problem we did not have to deal with!

    I also enjoy any holiday that promotes drinking Mexican beer!

    Happy Cinco De Mayo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm alway looking for an excuse to drink Coronas and eat fajitas, that has nothing to do with this.

    Even if the French had been able to project sufficient power to take over the failed Mexican state, most historians (myself included) do not feel that they could been anything more than minor assistance to the Confederacy.

    Once Vicksburg fell in 1863, the supply line from Texas to the deep south was severed. Nothing that the French could have done would have changed this.

    ReplyDelete