Friday, February 26, 2010

Ignorance or Arrogance?

Yesterday at the "Health Care Symposium" hosted by the President at Blair House in Washington, the President shared this small personal anecdote:


When I was young, just got out of college, I had to buy auto insurance. I had a beat-up old car. And I won’t name the name of the insurance company, but there was a company — let’s call it Acme Insurance in Illinois. And I was paying my premiums every month. After about six months I got rear-ended and I called up Acme and said, I’d like to see if I can get my car repaired, and they laughed at me over the phone because really this was set up not to actually provide insurance; what it was set up was to meet the legal requirements. But it really wasn’t serious insurance.

Now, it’s one thing if you’ve got an old beat-up car that you can’t get fixed. It’s another thing if your kid is sick, or you’ve got breast cancer.


Now let me get this straight. You purchased the state required LIABILITY insurance that would protect OTHER DRIVERS should you crash into them with your beater. You chose NOT to have Collision and Comprehensive insurance included in your policy that would have repaired YOUR car should that have occurred. You were SURPRISED when, after calling the insurance company, they did not want to repair your car, a service that you did not pay for.

Based on this, there are some things I am wondering:

1. How could a Harvard graduate be so IGNORANT as to the purpose and scope of his insurance policy?
2. Does the President understand that Automobile Insurance is required, like a Driver's License, for the privilege of driving on the public highways, and
3. Did this really happen, or is it just another politician "story" to try and make his point, and does he really have the arrogance to think we are so stupid to fall for this obvious misrepresentation of what the insurance company involved was obligated to do?

With this latest example of "Obamaspeak" people still wonder why the average American has lost faith in this man?

No comments:

Post a Comment